Thursday, October 6, 2011

SS/OM: All New Wonder Woman Review Part 1: The Controversy



All New Wonder Woman Review Part 1



It's about time

*SPOILER WARNING*

Okay, so I know the latest thing to talk about is the New 52. But I'm really really sick of thinking about the DC reboot. That will be later.

Instead I’m going to review a series that just finished right before said reboot: The All New Wonder Woman. It will have to be divided into three parts just because the story is so very long. With part 1 talking about the controversy behind the whole series. And then part two and three being the actual review.

See, I would love to start reviewing the actual comic now... but if I did, I’d have to stop every few minutes to talk about how “this caused a huge uproar” or where the advertising went right or wrong or to tell some of the nay-sayers about where they were right or wrong about the series.

So I’m gonna get it all out of my system and out of the way so I can do a straight up review of the whole series in part two and three

The Controversy:


Mistake number 1.

I say this because--- and I cannot stress this enough--- the All New Wonder Woman WAS NOT A REBOOT. It should never been advertised as such. And I will completely put the blame on DC for this.

Spoiler time: It’s a timeline story. When the series ends, it all goes back to normal. Not even kidding. And because of the New 52, we don’t even get to see long term repercussions. Wonder woman leaves the story learning more about herself. That’s it. Think Superman/Batman: Absolute Power.

DC even explained in the first announcement how Wondy’s timeline is changed by someone, created a new origin for her. Now she’s growing up on the streets, in hiding, without her mother or the Gods. But by calling it a full on reboot, fans had no idea that this really was just a timeline story. So of course, chaos started. And I can’t completely blame the fans for this, since, well, how were we supposed to know how to react other wise?

Needless to say, everyone HATED this idea. Me included. Wonder Woman’s 600th issue, and they decided to change everything we love about her? Everyone believed they were trying to make her more like Black Canary. Or Batman. Or erase all the Greek myths and activism involved with Wonder Woman. And well, the costume didn’t help.

Ah, yes, the costume. One day, I will talk about Wonder Woman without having to mention one of her many train-wreck costumes. Lets look at this thing, shall we?

Uh...
Image is from the announcement at DC

Uh huh. What did that announcement say again?

It reflects her origins in both the outside world and the world of Amazons: tough, elegant…a street-fighter’s look which also incorporates elements of her classic design. It reflects the two sides warring for ultimate victory, and underscores the path she must take.”

It’s a look designed to be taken seriously as a warrior,” “it’s a Wonder Woman look designed for the 21st century.”

No. No it doesn’t...

Yes, this is a real costume. We try to ignore it.
Also, heres the link
The bracelets are still there, but made more colourful, tied on the inside and over the hand, with a script W on each of them that form WW when she holds them side by side…and if you get hit by one of them, it leaves a W mark. This is a Wonder Woman who signs her work…letting her enemies know that she’s getting closer.”

... That’s just... stupid. (And if you’ve ever seen someone get punched, you’d know that would never work because the insignia is on her wrist)

Okay jokes aside, I personally didn’t mind the outfit. But the overall design is just... weird. And, yes, a little stupid. It mostly had to grow on me over time but I would never want Wondy to wear it again... okay, maybe the bustier and Greek straps. The jacket was bad. The pants were okay except the odd boot design. (Alright, I didn’t like that they were black, but, luckily, most of the artists gave it a bluer shade) But she looks like she’s in her teens, when in-story, Wonder Woman is in her 20s. There wasn’t much of the original Wonder Woman left in this design. The motifs, like the stars and “W”, are there, but... it didn’t feel like wonder woman. I suppose the change was too drastic to handle.

But DC did listen to us. They continued with the story but changed the design a few issues down the line: Scrapped the jacket and the got rid of the silly “leaves a W mark” thing. And when we see her without the jacket, not only does she have Greek styled armbands-- but shoulder straps. Flipping straps. I know I wasn't’ the only fan happy to see that.

Heck Ya!
And for the story, the costume did make sense. Wonder Woman is being hunted down. Her outfit was weird, but it would have been easy for her to sneak into a crowd if she needed too. There’s even a scene where she puts a sweatshirt on, covering her emblem, and sneaks onto the streets.

But by then, the damage was done, fans were already boycotting the story. Which was too bad, because it’s actually a pretty good story.

Okay, this is where I stop giving DC a hard time and point my eyes at the fans. This was not our Wonder Woman. The origin and costume was different. We had no idea that things were going back to normal.

But honestly, I feel some of you guys over reacted.

I’ve already said, I don’t like comic boycotts. I hate them. They aren’t that effective and I would rather read a story first before I judge it.

If you read a story and it was really the most awful thing you have ever read-- that the story really did objectify the characters, insulted them, destroyed their image or say... made them into a walking blow up doll (I’m looking at you, Red Hood and The Outlaws), feel free to go nuts. Protest the slag out of it.

But if you are judging the whole comic, story and all, before you even read it, before it’s even published, by only a single character design and a couple of preview images: Kindly SHUT. UP.

No--NO! I’m serious. Shut. UP. Please. You have no right to judge a whole story you’ve never actually read. And yes, I've done it too. So I know that laying down such judgements only makes you look like a whiny hypocrite and you can miss out on some really good stories.

Didn’t like the costume? Fine, say that. saw a review that walked you through the whole comic and you agreed with the review? Fine again. The comic caused something controversial and insulting? Fine again. But don’t act like you’ve read the story when you haven’t.

I did read the story, and guess what?! It was great! There were good reviews about it! Wasn't for everyone, of course. But even though Diana might not look like Wonder Woman, but she definitely acts like it! There were Easter eggs that a lot of loyalists would get a smile at. Here's the theme of the entire book: What is means to be a “Wonder woman”

And then there is the other issue:

In issue 600 of Wonder Woman,  J. Michael Straczynski, talks about the same issues I've noticed (regarding the fans anyway): That while the other heroes have been given the chance to evolve, wonder woman has not. Most fans don’t want her to change even a little.

He mentions that In Batman Brave and the Bold #33 “many were appalled that wonder Woman told a joke... that she flirted...that she was relaxed and having fun. One podcaster said that Wonder Woman had become like his grandmother, and he didn’t like to see his grandmother being flirty.”

There is something very wrong there. But I've already talked about how fans need to accept change in my last article, so I'd just be repeating myself. And this section has been long enough.

It was a bumpy ride, wasn’t perfect, had a few hiccups but it was still good. And didn’t deserve the crap it got.

Okay, now that that is done with: On to the review!

End of part 1

Seeya,
 SlugLady28

PS. Also, I am an idiot. The banner said Septemper and not September and I just noticed tonight ^_^; I'll be changing that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment